What we're looking for:
We're growing our team and are currently looking for a Senior UX/UI Designer ideally based in Brisbane or based in Sydney and happy to travel to Brisbane when required. We're looking for someone with:
A flexible approach
We work across different clients and sectors; you'll need to be able to adapt and tailor your skills and approach to a wide range of different problems.
You can easily switch from macro to micro; from seeing the bigger picture strategic value and the detailed dynamics of an organisation’s product or service.
A focus on doing
You are skilled at translating insights into design opportunities and can quickly and iteratively turn these into tangible prototypes and design solutions.
Collaboration as core
You are confident and collaborative at a client and colleague level; you'll work flexibly and iteratively across all aspects of the design and communicate in a language that everyone can understand.
Designers at Folk
Experienced UX/UI designers at Folk are expected to work as a key part of our multidisciplinary team and take the lead on:
Scoping, kicking off and running projects
We believe that the people doing the work should be a part of scoping the work. We want you to input into how things should be done to get the best outcome – you’ll work with project managers to set things up for success and keep things moving forward.
Researching, prototyping, and validating products and services
We have boundless curiosity about how people use products and services. We believe in just enough research to be able understand and envision the future – then we focus on making things tangible and validating our thinking through our designs.
Creating designs that are ready to go
We work with developers both internally and externally. You’ll need to quickly and iteratively translate initial designs and components into dev-ready outputs.
Skills you'll need:
Sounding good so far? The key skills you'll need the work with us are:
Research – a structured approach to understanding customers and business problems to identify what's important and co-design possible solutions.
UX design — a strong UX skillset grounded in a knowledge of UX patterns, and how they should be applied in practice.
Information architecture — the ability to make sense of complex content types and information and to structure it logically.
Strategic thinking — the ability to identify assumptions, frame up opportunities and determine the best approach to validate decisions.
Interaction design — the ability (or the desire to learn how) to turn static prototypes into engaging interactive prototypes.
Prototyping & testing — the ability to quickly make ideas into tangible prototypes, conduct testing and synthesise key insights to inform design decisions.
UI design — a strong visual aesthetic and the ability to create ready-to-implement designs and design systems.
Written and verbal communication — the ability to succinctly capture thoughts and express them to others by crafting and telling a great story.
Visual communication — you speak in a visual language. You have a strong design voice and point of view on where to go and why.
Collaboration — able to easily collaborate with internal and external teams to co-design potential solutions and work alongside developers to bring them to life.
How we work:
You’ll should be confident and comfortable working with:
- Figma — for prototyping and day-to-day design work
- Principle — For creating interactive prototypes
- Slides — For presentations and other things that aren’t design.
Some of the benefits of working at Folk:
We care about the wellbeing of our team. Here are some of the benefits our team enjoys:
- We work on projects with social purpose and impact. We work on big, complex challenges that impact real people.
- We have a hybrid flexible working model – work from home and come to the studio to connect and collaborate.
- We value the other important parts of your life as well – we offer flexibility for pick-ups and drop offs or sick children as well as anything else life throws at you.
- We run a creative workplace culture where everyone’s input is encouraged and listened to.
- You are actively empowered to help shape the business, if you think something can be done better – tell someone.
- We want you to grow – we have a generous development budget that we encourage you to use to invest in build your skills and follow your career ambitions.
- We love working with people who bring their personality, their experience, and their uniqueness to the team.
- We have a working environment that is friendly, warm, open, and inspired by our values and purpose.
- We put the wellbeing of our staff before projects and profit – through regular check-ins and transparent communication we ensure the everyone feels safe and supported.
Career growth at Folk
Our goal is to create an environment for you to thrive and grow by doing interesting and challenging work.
Learning & development at the core
We want you to grow – we encourage everyone to seek out learning opportunities through the year through conferences, events, workshops, or whatever appeals to you.
Learning in the job
We run semi-regular lunch and learn sessions where team members present their work or learn about new tools and approaches, as well as plenty of opportunities for hands-on learning.
No matter what stage you’re at in your career we want you to feel like you’re supported to take the next step. We have regular conversations with team members about where they’re going and how we can support them to get there.
At Folk, we believe diversity is essential to creating the best products, services and experiences. We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion – we are proud members of the Diversity Council of Australia. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, citizenship, national origin of employees, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
Sound like you?
Please send us a link to your portfolio, CV, LinkedIn profile or anything that demonstrates your approach to problem solving and your design talent – and a brief note that tells us what attracted you to the role and what you’re excited about in design to [email protected]
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified.
You must be legally able to work in Australia. No agencies please.